The occasion might arise where simply using an AND operator or an OR operator separately won’t do! Sometimes your grouping needs are so advanced that you need to use both AND & OR operators in your filter statement. With Intacct, this is possible using Dimension Group Filtering for Advanced Financial Reporting!
Thanks to the advanced Condition box you can make your filter as complex as you like. Some examples of more complex filters would be:
- Customers with Type ID Financial OR Media AND who have a status of Active.
- Customers with the Territory ID of Mountain AND a Sales Rep of ‘Mike Gillette’ OR ‘Paul Smith’.
- Items that are either in the Hardware OR Subscription Product Line AND in the GL Group Billable Expenses.
- Vendors that are either in the United States OR Canada AND have the Type ID of Contractor AND have ACH Enabled.
- Employees who are in the General Admin OR Support Departments AND have an Employee type of Full Time.
We will use item 5 above to show how this functionality works. First we must create our Employee Group in Company > Setup > Employee Groups > Add. As stated in the previous examples the Employee Group ID and Name fiends are required so be sure you complete those. The Group Type should be set to All Members so that we can use the filter down below. The filter written out in Item 5 above can be broken down into 3 separate lines as shown below:
Now this is where the magic comes. Using the line numbers on the left of each line we can figure out what our conditions should be. Since we know we want Employees who are in the General Admin OR Support Departments we will OR those two lines. This would give us: Line 1 OR Line 2. The next step is to incorporate the fact that we want these Employees to also be full time employees. We will group our OR statement into parentheses before adding our AND at the end. Our finished Condition will be (1 or 2) and 3.
In order to be able to type our Condition into the Condition box we must first select a Condition Type of ‘Expression’.
After setting the Condition Type to Expression we will be able to type in the Condition field. This is where we will type in the Condition we wrote above.
You can now save your Employee Group and test it!